What to expect when you submit to your agent

Sunday, August 23, 2009
As in most relationships, trouble comes when expectations don't meet.

So it's a good idea to know what to expect after you submit another MS to your agent. First of all, unless you're making your agent a lot of money, don't expect them to drop everything. Agents have lists of things to accomplish. Don't expect to be pushed to the top.

Now, while you can expect your MS to go before any nonclients (which you will appreciate, after you've landed an agent), you will no doubt be behind clients whose MS arrived before yours. Your agent may take other things into consideration. If, for instance, you already have an unsold MS with him, s/he may be less likely to hurry up and read your newest masterpiece.

So, how long should you expect? Here's the key, ask when you turn the MS in. If you agent says a month, double that (this is true for all things publishing--unless of course, you need to meet a deadline).

So you see, all this sending off queries and waiting is just preparing you for life after you land an agent.

In the meantime, go have a popsicle and chill.

:)

5 comments:

  1. I have been so lucky--only a weeks wait after both submissions. As I prepare my third manuscript I can't help but wonder if my good luck will have run out when it is time for submission.

  1. Great thoughts. Edy's now makes ones that make me fooled into thinking they are healthy, so don't mind if I do.
    ~ Wendy

  1. Becky: You are lucky! And I'm jealous.

    Wendy: Hmmm . . . I'll have to try those.

  1. LOL What flavor?

    Lynnette Labelle
    http://lynnettelabelle.blogspot.com

  1. Lynnette: Probably grape. You?

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...