Uglies by Scott Westerfield

Saturday, January 17, 2009
This is one of the best books I've ever read. It was very well balanced between pace, plot, character, style, etc.

I picked it up and didn't stop until I'd finished at 1 am. Then I lay in bed the whole night thinking about the book's themes.

One of those themes: If someone handed you the rock star life ($, clothes, beauty, popularity, everything--kinda like Extreme Makeover), but you had to give up the "deeper stuff"--including the struggles--would you?

It seems like such an rhetorical question. But think about it. People make that choice every day (plastic surgery because large breast are currently "popular" (they weren't always. Manly women were supposed to birthe sons)). Especially teenagers. Do you want to be popular, or do you want to stand up for who you are--even if it makes your life harder.

Each has a consequence.

But boil it down even further--do you take the easy road, or the hard road?

Do you shovel your traveling neighbor's driveway, even if he's never done it for you?

Do you help a fledgling writer with the ropes, even though you don't have much time?

Do you take care of yourself and your body?

Do you send nasty emails to agents that have rejected you?

As you can see, the book really got me thinking.

Go out and read it, then let me know what you think.

;)

3 comments:

  1. I've noticed students carrying it around at school, reading it (a series, yes?) -- sounds interesting. may have to pick it up and read, esp after your endorsement.

  1. I picked these up when my mom was reading them. They didn't interest me at all, but after reading your post, I'm willing to take a second look!

    My mom liked them okay. I've heard mostly good things about them. Thanks for the review!

    And the questions... makes me think hard about a few of them. :)

  1. It sounds nice..
    There're always books make us thinking

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...