Use Find and Replace for quick fixes:
1. Find: That and delete (ie "She pitched her voice so that none of the villagers would hear." You can delete "that" and loose nothing. You'd be surprised how many words you can cut by deleting one word).
2. Find was + ing verbs and delete. (She was starting to hate pizza. She hated pizza. More examples? was looking, was leaving, was following. Cut 'em.) Granted, you can't delete them all, but the more you delete, the stronger you're writing will become--it's less wordy and has less be verbs.
3. Find ly adverbs and replace with descriptive verbs. (She hurriedly picked up the child. She snatched the child. The man fell, crushingly, to the ground. The man crashed to the ground.)
4. Find adjectives and delete. (Perilous dangers. Isn't that repetitive? Despite his exhausted and beleaguered state, the man stumbled on. The man stumbled on--in the context of the paragraph, his exhaustion should have been show.)
On Feb. 19th, my seven-year old son broke his femur due to a non-ossifying fibroma. The whole experience was rather traumatic for him, so ...
1. Throughout the book, Senna struggles with her identity. What advice would you give to her—to anyone—who feels like an outcast? 2...
Updated Sept 4th, 09 So I was reading Michelle's post on violence and it got me really thinking. How do you write a violent scene with...
Interview between journalist JoLynne Lyon and Amber Argyle JoLynne: Throughout the story, Senna struggles with her identity. What advic...
If you learn nothing else, learn this: Bookbub rocks ! As in, life changing, book changing rocks. They're hard to get into: Read th...
My options (thanks to everyone who contributed!): Breena, Nixie, or Tianna Rhom (Rhombus), or Adàmas. The shape of a diamond, or t...
These are notes from my research for Winter Queen. Enjoy! Routes of administration See also: Drying of herbs and spices The exact comp...
Winner of the Rone Award for Best Fantasy/Science Fiction of 2014 A dying man delivers a terrible warning: a civil war has been sparke...
By Horseback: Distances a horse can travel vary depending on the size and condition of the riders, mounts, weather, terrain, and condition...
Daughter of Winter Daughter of Winter will be released April 21st. Here's the new synopsis: Bargains. Only the truly desperat...
Amber Argyle Author. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2015 (18)
- ► 2014 (48)
- ► 2013 (78)
- ► 2012 (63)
- ► 2011 (91)
- ► 2010 (23)
- ▼ March (7)