Use Find and Replace for quick fixes:
1. Find: That and delete (ie "She pitched her voice so that none of the villagers would hear." You can delete "that" and loose nothing. You'd be surprised how many words you can cut by deleting one word).
2. Find was + ing verbs and delete. (She was starting to hate pizza. She hated pizza. More examples? was looking, was leaving, was following. Cut 'em.) Granted, you can't delete them all, but the more you delete, the stronger you're writing will become--it's less wordy and has less be verbs.
3. Find ly adverbs and replace with descriptive verbs. (She hurriedly picked up the child. She snatched the child. The man fell, crushingly, to the ground. The man crashed to the ground.)
4. Find adjectives and delete. (Perilous dangers. Isn't that repetitive? Despite his exhausted and beleaguered state, the man stumbled on. The man stumbled on--in the context of the paragraph, his exhaustion should have been show.)
Updated Sept 4th, 09 So I was reading Michelle's post on violence and it got me really thinking. How do you write a violent scene with...
*Note from Amber* Comment for a chance to win 22 books (leave your email addy!), and don't forget to scroll down to the next post about ...
Introducing Flesh & Bone - a contemporary romance, (The Minstrel Series #2) Coming April 3rd! She can’t remember. He ...
On Feb. 19th, my seven-year old son broke his femur due to a non-ossifying fibroma. The whole experience was rather traumatic for him, so ...
I n Of Ice and Snow and Winter Queen (which are on sale for a limited time for 99C each), I explored the theme “Strong as stone, ...
1. Throughout the book, Senna struggles with her identity. What advice would you give to her—to anyone—who feels like an outcast? 2...
Holy crap, it's been a hard year. In addition to my son's difficult diagnosis, his two surgeries, and moving to another state, I had...
Interview between journalist JoLynne Lyon and Amber Argyle JoLynne: Throughout the story, Senna struggles with her identity. What advic...
My options (thanks to everyone who contributed!): Breena, Nixie, or Tianna Rhom (Rhombus), or Adàmas. The shape of a diamond, or t...
Brusenna is the last. All the other witches have been captured, their songs stolen and twisted from harmony and growth into chao...
Amber Argyle Author. Powered by Blogger.
- ► 2015 (18)
- ► 2014 (48)
- ► 2013 (78)
- ► 2012 (63)
- ► 2011 (91)
- ► 2010 (23)
- ▼ March (7)